Committed to Equality
With purposeful involvement from the highest levels across our firm, V&E’s diversity and inclusion efforts are focused on meaningful solutions that allow us to attract and retain the best and brightest lawyers and business professionals.
As a member of the global legal profession, we have a special responsibility to achieve equality — inclusive of diverse interests, backgrounds, perspectives, race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, and physical ability.
We understand that having diverse teams at V&E allows us to leverage the power of different perspectives and ideas to provide the best solutions and services to our clients, ensuring our long-term success. To achieve this, we integrate inclusion into how we operate daily, including our structure, policies, and programs.
Keith Fullenweider, Chair
Jim Fox, Vice Chair
Michael Holmes, Vice Chair
Hilary Preston, Vice Chair
Manuel G. Berrelez, Partner
John B. Connally IV, Partner
Allen Gilbert, Chief Financial Officer
Stephen M. Gill, Partner
David Oelman, Partner
Hy Pomerance, Chief Talent Officer
Bailey Pham, Partner
Julia E. Sanabria, Partner
Michael B. Wigmore, Partner
As a firm, Vinson & Elkins stands in support of our attorneys and business professionals of color, and our communities that have been, and continue to be, impacted by racial injustice, police brutality, and hate crimes. The tragic deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and the violence against members of the Asian community, continue to shine a harsh light on the systemic societal injustices that must be addressed if we hope to build a society that provides equal justice and opportunities for all. We recognize our privilege to be able to provide legal services to contribute to the fight against discrimination and injustice. Through our collective voices and efforts, we hope to help build a society that provides equal justice and equal opportunities for all.
We are steadfast in our conviction that there is no room in our organization or society for racism, discrimination, or injustice toward people of color. As a law firm and as individuals we use our platform to continue the conversation and assist our communities in the path forward.
Read more about the action we are taking here.
Talent/Diversity Lead Partners are embedded within practice groups in each office. They actively monitor equitable work opportunities, facilitate constructive feedback, and oversee associate development.
The Diversity Council is a firm-wide group that includes ally partners, counsel, and associates across practices and offices. The Council focuses on programming and initiatives, and facilitates communication and connections across the firm.
Our affinity groups offer an opportunity to build a stronger sense of community across practices and offices, provide mentoring opportunities, and facilitate business development efforts. Our affinity groups include Asian & Middle Eastern, Black, Hispanic/Latinx, LGBTQ+, Military & Veterans, Women of Color, and Working Parents.
Our internal conferences for our lawyers of color and LGBTQ+ lawyers offer unique opportunities to build relationships that are vital to success. Our recent event included more than 50 firm leadership partners who participated in constructive dialogues, led roundtables, and participated in networking opportunities.
V&E provides numerous scholarships, fellowships, internships, sponsorships, and mentorship in support of its commitment to build a more diverse and inclusive firm and legal profession. We also participate in external programs, such as Seizing Every Opportunity (SEO) and the Diverse Attorney Pipeline Program, which places 1L women of color with a law firm and in-house split-summer opportunity. Learn more about V&E’s scholarships and fellowships here.
V&E offers a variety of programs, resources, benefits, and initiatives to advance our lawyer’s careers while maintaining a fulfilling personal life. Below are a few examples:
- Gender-Neutral Parental Leave – Up to 18 weeks of fully paid leave for the birth or adoption of a child.
- New Parent Mentoring Program – All expecting parents (male and female) are offered an experienced mentor to help guide them through personal and professional considerations related to being a new parent.
- Post-Family Leave Phase-In – A three-month phase-in period is encouraged to help primary caregiver transition back into work.
- Flexible Work Arrangements and Remote Work – Lawyers are able to propose a formal reduced-hours schedule, and all lawyers have the ability to work remotely when needed to balance client and personal commitments.
- Family-Friendly Events – Each year across our offices, we have several events – including client events – geared toward families and children.
- Back-Up Child and Elder Care – V&E offers subsidized back-up child and elder care providers – in-home, and through nearby facilities.
V&E lawyers are actively involved in numerous affinity bar associations and diversity organizations. Examples include:
- Corporate Counsel Women of Color (CCWC)
- Diversity Lab’s Mansfield Rule 5.0
- Hispanic Bar Association
- Human Rights Campaign (HRC)
- Lambda Legal
- Law Firm Antiracism Alliance
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD)
- Metropolitan Black Bar
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- National LGBTQ+ Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas Minority Counsel Program (TMCP)
- The Center for Women in Law
- Women’s Bar Association of DC
- Bloomberg Law – DEI Framework Member Firm (2021)
- Human Rights Campaign – “Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality (2021)
- Lambda Legal – Partner in Equality Award and National Sponsor (2020-21)
- Law Firm Antiracism Alliance – Founding Member
Diversity Scholarships & FellowshipsLearn More
To aid in fueling the diversity pipeline, V&E is actively involved in a variety of external programs and offers V&E-sponsored financial support for students from high school seniors to rising second-year law students in the U.S.
Diversity Recruitment & Outreach
Vinson & Elkins maintains a culture that nurtures diverse interests, backgrounds, and perspectives that enables us to develop exceptional attorneys. Our participation in diversity-focused career fairs and recruiting programs allows us to identify top notch legal talent.
- 715+Diversity Fellowship and Scholarships Awarded Since 1990
- 100%Perfect Score, 2021 CEI ‘Best Place to Work’ for LGBTQ Equality
- 1/4V&E Lawyers, Including Allies, Are Members of Our Global Diversity Council
- Manuel Berrelez and Rafael Alvarado Named in Latino Leaders Magazine 2021 "Top Latino Lawyers" FeatureRankings & AwardsDecember 31, 2021
- Vinson & Elkins Advises Aleática in Autopista Rio Magdalena Project, PFI’s 2021 “Transport Deal of the Year”Rankings & AwardsDecember 30, 2021
- Rankings & AwardsDecember 8, 2021
- Press ReleaseDecember 1, 2021
- InsightDecember 20, 2021
- InsightDecember 20, 2021
- V&E+November 16, 2021