- Environmental Justice
It is increasingly critical for businesses to proactively identify and address the environmental and social impact they have on the communities they operate in and serve.
In recent years, federal and state governments have increasingly prioritized the equitable treatment and protection of communities disproportionately affected by harms to their environment and health. This has translated to a fast-moving landscape in which state and federal legislatures and agencies are developing new laws, regulations, policies, and data-driven tools to address environmental justice and ensure civil rights protections (e.g., under the Title VI Civil Rights Act of 1964).
Our cross-office environmental team draws on its significant experience and broad range of capabilities to guide clients where EJ or civil rights concerns are present including:
- Strategic counseling for project planning, development, and permitting;
- Defense counseling for high-stakes enforcement, litigation, and settlement;
- Development of corporate policies, training, and plans to address EJ and other environmental social risks in the context of corporate reporting;
- Compliance assessments and corporate audits; and
- Performing due diligence to identify related risk in mergers and acquisitions (M&A) transactions.
V&E provides practical and tailored guidance for our clients as they navigate this shifting landscape.