Office 1207 Index Tower
P.O. Box 504945
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Ilham Kabbouri is an associate in the International Dispute Resolution & Arbitration group, based in our Dubai office. Ilham has experience navigating clients through complex global disputes, from preliminary advice right through to the rendering of the arbitral award and post-award proceedings. Acting for state-owned and private entities, Ilham is experienced in both high-value arbitrations spanning multiple jurisdictions and sectors. She is also experienced in acting for clients in litigation cases before the United Arab Emirates (UAE) common law courts in the Dubai International Financial Centre and the Abu Dhabi Global Market.
While her practice centers on disputes resolution, Ilham regularly advises clients on non-contentious construction and engineering matters.
Ilham is active in the development of arbitration in Africa and has assisted a number of African Governments with the creation and improvement of their arbitration legal framework. In 2020, she was recognised by the Association of Young Arbitrators as one of Africa’s 50 Most Promising Young Arbitration Practitioners.
A strong advocate for diversity, Ilham is often a featured speaker on ethnic and gender diversity issues at arbitration conferences around the world.
The following is a list of representative matters in which Ilham has assisted.
Representing a major engineering company with expertise in designing and developing airports in an ICC arbitration relating to a dispute with the main contractor on an air base project; the dispute concerns the non-payment of invoices, delay and entitlements to cost and time relief for the same
Representing a state-owned entity in an arbitration relating to the provision of IT services; the dispute concerned issues of performance and entitlement to payment for services rendered
Advising a contractor in respect of a dispute with the employer on a major infrastructure project; the dispute related to the settlement of its final account, return of its bonds, alleged defects and whether it complied with the defects liability regime under the main contract
Representing a major luxury hotel operator in a mediation in relation to a dispute with the owner of the hotel under a long term Management Agreement (MA); the dispute centered around the interpretation of the force majeure clause in the MA and whether (and to what extent) it would excuse performance of the operator’s obligations in respect of the hotel’s financial performance
Representing a MEP Subcontractor in a DIAC arbitration relating to a dispute with the main contractor on a research center project; issues involved variations, completion, entitlements to costs and time relief for delay
Representing multiple respondents in ICC proceedings, defending claims by multiple claimants including a major Saudi private equity fund totaling $175 million in relation to a put option over shares and rent payments under commercial leases in Dubai
- The University of Law, Legal Practice Course, 2020
- BPP University, Graduate Diploma in Law, 2018
- University of London, L.L.M. in International and Comparative Commercial Law, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), 2015
- Université Catholique de Louvain-la-Neuve, L.L.M. in EU Law (“Master à finalité spécialisée en Droit Européen”), 2014
- Université Catholique de Louvain-la-Neuve, L.L.B. (“Bachelier en droit”), 2012
- Head Coordinator of the IGAD/CCD Taskforce for the creation of the Djibouti International Arbitration Centre
- Sub-regional Coordinator for Francophone Africa on the Global Steering Committee of Africa Construction Law
- Committee Member of the Africa Sub-Committee of the Equal Representation in Arbitration Pledge
- England and Wales
- InsightJuly 21, 2022
- InsightMarch 21, 2022
V&E International Dispute Resolution Update
Conference and Seminar Presentations
- Moderator of the LACIAC Live Debate (4th Edition), Motion – “Arbitrators’ Duty Of Disclosure: African Jurisdictions Should Follow The Principles In Halliburton V Chubb,” (online), 30 July 2021