E. Phileda Tennant
1001 Fannin Street
Houston, TX 77002
E. Phileda Tennant, a graduate of Harvard Law School, Texas native and fourth generation Houstonian, focuses on employment litigation before state and federal courts, and administrative agencies. Her practice includes counselling and investigations.
Phileda has particular experience litigating employee non-competition and non-solicitation agreements; seeking injunctive relief to protect employers’ trade secrets; and defending employers from whistleblower claims.
During law school Phileda served as law clerk for the Texas Office of Solicitor General. Prior to her clerkship for the Office of Solicitor General, she worked as an intern both for former U.S. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison, and former San Antonio Mayor Phil Hardberger.
While pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science at Brown University, Phileda was a student director for the Rhode Island Urban Debate League, a non-profit committed to teaching public high school students the skill of policy debate.
Prior to joining Vinson & Elkins, she was an associate at Ahmad, Zavitsanos, Anaipakos, Alavi & Mensing, P.C. in Houston, Texas.
- Harvard Law School, J.D. 2014; (Quarter-finalist, Ames Moot Court Competition, Fall 2012); (HLS Trial Advocacy Workshop); (WilmerHale Legal Services Center of Harvard Law School – Consumer Law Litigation Advocate); (Harvard Journal on Legislation, Line Editor)
- Brown University, B.A. magna cum laude Political Science, 2011; (Phi Beta Kappa); (Rhode Island Urban Debate League, Student Director); (Undergraduate Council of Students, Executive Appointments Chairperson)
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for Southern Texas
- U.S. District Court for Eastern Texas
- U.S. District Court for Western Texas
- U.S. District Court for Northern Texas
- Navigating the Election Impact: What Employers Should Expect and How to Plan for the New AdministrationEvent RecapDecember 17, 2020
- Managing the Modern WorkplaceMarch 17, 2020
- Managing the Modern WorkplaceMarch 3, 2020
- Managing the Modern WorkplaceFebruary 27, 2020
- Managing the Modern WorkplaceFebruary 6, 2020
- Managing the Modern WorkplaceDecember 12, 2019
- Managing the Modern WorkplaceNovember 7, 2019
- Managing the Modern WorkplaceOctober 9, 2019
- Managing the Modern WorkplaceJuly 25, 2019
- Managing the Modern WorkplaceMay 28, 2019
- Managing the Modern WorkplaceMay 23, 2019
- Managing the Modern WorkplaceApril 11, 2019
- Managing the Modern WorkplaceFebruary 28, 2019
- Event RecapOctober 30, 2018
- Managing the Modern WorkplaceSeptember 25, 2018
- Cloudy with a Chance of Trade Secrets: Ensuring Trade Secret Protection for Data Stored in the CloudManaging the Modern WorkplaceJune 26, 2018
- Managing the Modern WorkplaceFebruary 1, 2018
- Managing the Modern WorkplaceOctober 24, 2017
- Managing the Modern WorkplaceAugust 10, 2017
- Return Fire: Employers Who Disregard State Gun Laws May Expose Themselves to Wrongful Termination LiabilityManaging the Modern WorkplaceSeptember 13, 2016
- “Are You SLAPP Happy Yet?” V&E Houston Office, October 30, 2018 (speaker)
- “Three Challenges Evidentiary Issues in Employment Law,” 29th Annual Labor and Employment Law Institute, August 25, 2018 (speaker)
- “Balancing Non-Compete and Antitrust Considerations in an Era of Increased Scrutiny,” V&E Houston Office, March 23, 2017 (speaker)
- “Time to Revisit Employer Confidentiality and Release Agreements,” V&E Employment, Labor and OSHA Update E-communication, October 12, 2016 (co-author)