John A. Kupiec
The Grace Building
1114 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10036
John Kupiec advises public companies, REITs, hedge funds, and private equity firms on mergers and acquisitions and other corporate matters, including cross-border transactions. John’s practice is multidisciplinary, focusing on difficult and unique situations that require critical thinking and practical solutions.
John counsels both buyers and sellers on public and private acquisitions, unsolicited bids, divestitures, joint ventures, bankruptcy and distressed transactions, and other transactions spanning a variety of industry sectors. In addition, he represents financial sponsors on leveraged buyouts, growth equity investments, take-private transactions, platform investments, minority stakes, and portfolio companies.
John also advises clients on securities law, corporate governance, and shareholder activism defense. He has been named a “Rising Star” by New York Super Lawyers magazine from 2015 to 2019 and an IFLR 1000 Notable Practitioner in 2019 and recognized by the Legal 500 for U.S. M&A: Large Deals in 2019.
tronc in its $500 million divestiture of the Los Angeles Times, San Diego Union-Tribune and other California publications
Alerian in its sale to Aretex Capital Partners
Tronox Limited in its $1.64 billion acquisition of FMC Corporation’s Alkali Chemicals business
IGATE Corporation in its $4.04 billion merger with Cap Gemini S.A.
Infineon Technologies in its $3 billion acquisition of International Rectifier Corporation
Eaton Corporation in its $11.8 billion acquisition of Cooper Industries plc
London Stock Exchange Group in its $2.7 billion acquisition of Frank Russell Company
Cogeco Communications and Atlantic Broadband in their $1.4 billion acquisition of MetroCast cable systems
Bristol-Myers Squibb in its up to $3 billion divestiture of its HIV pipeline to ViiV Healthcare
Bristol-Myers Squibb in its up to $475 million (including milestones) acquisition of F-star Alpha
Nexstar Broadcasting in its acquisitions of Communications Corporation of America and of Grant Broadcasting
Evercore Partners in its purchase of a 45% interest in ABS Investment Management
Evercore Wealth Management in its acquisition of Mt. Eden Investment Advisors
Lazard, Morgan Stanley, Moelis and J.P. Morgan as financial advisors for multiple transactions, including Lazard as financial advisor to the special committee of SolarCity Corp. in its $2.6 billion merger with Tesla Motors
Sycamore Partners in its $6.9 billion acquisition of Staples
Starwood Capital Group and Mammoth Resorts in the sale of Mammoth Mountain Ski Area and three other ski resorts to affiliates of Aspen Skiing Company and KSL Capital Partners
KKR in its acquisition of Optiv
KKR in its acquisition of C.H.I. Overhead Doors
KKR in its $3.7 billion take-private acquisition of Gardner Denver
KKR in its acquisition of Avoca Capital
Blackstone Group in its $1.5 billion equity transaction with Edens Investment Trust
L Catterton in its $925 million take-private acquisition of Steiner Leisure Limited
TriZetto Corporation, a portfolio company of funds advised by Apax Partners, in its $2.7 billion sale to Cognizant Technology Solutions Corp.
- Boston College Law School, J.D., summa cum laude (First in class; Editor in Chief, Boston College Law Review)
- Dartmouth College, A.B.
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Loretta A. Preska, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Bruce M. Selya, U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- Selected to the New York Rising Stars list, Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters), 2015-2019
- Legal 500 U.S., M&A: Large Deals ($1bn+), 2019
- New York
- Coronavirus: Preparation & ResponseApril 9, 2020
Published in CorpGov
- WPT Industrial REIT Closes Acquisition of Distribution and Logistics Portfolio and Offering of Subscription ReceiptsDeals & CasesMarch 26, 2020
- Deals & CasesFebruary 12, 2020
- Deals & CasesNovember 8, 2019
- V&E Advises Cloud Peak Energy in Connection With Sale of Assets to Navajo Transitional Energy CompanyDeals & CasesOctober 24, 2019
- Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters) Names Six V&E Attorneys to the 2019 New York Metro Super Lawyers ListRankings & AwardsSeptember 11, 2019
- The Legal 500 U.S. 2019 (Legalease, Ltd.) Recognizes V&E in 43 Practice Categories, With 184 Individual Lawyer RecommendationsRankings & AwardsMay 30, 2019
- Deals & CasesApril 26, 2019
- Deals & CasesFebruary 21, 2019
- Press ReleaseOctober 16, 2018