Building Path-Breaking Legal Careers
Our inclusion structure includes purposeful involvement from the top level. V&E’s Managing Partner directly oversees our Women’s Initiative, and male and female partners are included on the Women’s Initiative committee. Actively involving men in conversations around the success of women at our firm becomes a critical part of the solution to advancing and retaining women.
As examples of women having a voice at V&E, we have women who serve on our Management Committee and as Practice Group Leaders, and several women partners serve in other leadership roles – such as Office Managing Partner, Hiring Partners, and on key firm-wide committees.
A wide variety of programs hosted and supported by V&E across offices helps our women to develop and connect with one another.
- Business Development & Skills Training – A multitude of training programs are offered to teach the skills necessary to become an excellent lawyer and build and retain strong client relationships. You will have an opportunity to hear directly from our clients, firm partners, and leading experts in their fields.
- Networking Events – Our Women’s Initiative hosts numerous events across offices for networking with firm leadership, clients, alums, and community leaders.
- Mentoring Programs – Every successful lawyer has had a strong mentor, and we support formal and informal mentoring connections, including through mentoring circles, and sponsorship pairings.
- Office-Specific Programs and Events – Topics for events include business development, public speaking, confidence, negotiating, self-defense training, yoga and mindfulness, generations in the workplace, and financial planning, to name a few.
- External Conferences & Organizations – V&E supports and many of our lawyers attend outside conferences geared toward the success of women in law, such as Women Influence Power & Law, National Association of Women Lawyers, Women’s Energy Network, and Corporate Counsel Women of Color.
- Community – We encourage our lawyers to carry their passion for serving others to our communities through volunteering, financial contributions, board service, and pro bono legal work. The firm and our women lawyers support Dress for Success, Human Rights Campaign, Communities in Schools, March of Dimes, and diverse bar associations, among others.
Vinson & Elkins provides our women lawyers with the resources needed to advance in their career while maintaining a fulfilling personal life. For our innovative programs and numerous benefits that we offer, Vinson & Elkins has been named a number of times as a Yale Law Women Top Ten Family Friendly Firm and one of the 50 Best Law Firms for Women by Working Mother Flex-Time Lawyers. These are a few examples of our resources and benefits:
- Gender-Neutral Parental Leave – Up to 18 weeks of fully paid leave for the birth or adoption of a child.
- New Parent Mentoring Program – All expecting parents (male and female) are offered an experienced mentor to help guide them through personal and professional considerations related to being a new parent.
- Post-Family Leave Phase-In – A three-month phase-in period is encouraged to help primary caregiver transition back into work.
- Flexible Work Arrangements and Remote Work – Lawyers are able to propose a formal reduced-hours schedule, and all lawyers have the ability to work remotely when needed to balance client and personal commitments.
- Work Allocation System for New Associates
- Family-Friendly Events – Each year across our offices, we have several events – including client events – geared toward families and children.
- Back-Up Child and Elder Care – V&E offers subsidized back-up child and elder care providers – in-home, and through nearby facilities.
- External Career Coach
As V&E invests in our women lawyers, they serve as role models and mentors for pre-law and law students through a variety of internal and external programs. A number of the firm’s pipeline initiatives (V&E Scholarships, Law Preview Scholarships, and Diversity Fellowships), which increase diversity in the legal field, are inclusive of women.
- Partner - Acquisition & Leveraged FinanceHouston
Through the V&E Women’s Initiative, female and male attorneys and firm leaders work together to provide career development and leadership opportunities for our women attorneys. We believe that by working together, we can have a more meaningful impact by providing opportunities for success and visible support for our women.
- 1/4Lawyers and Allies Committed to Our Global Diversity Council
- 8Years Named to 'Best Law Firms for Working Mothers' List
- Top 102019 Firms for Family friendliness
- Press ReleaseDecember 15, 2020
- Press ReleaseNovember 18, 2020
- Press ReleaseNovember 5, 2020
- Press ReleaseJune 1, 2020
- V&E+December 16, 2020
- V&E+December 1, 2020
- V&E+October 28, 2020