The Evolving Role of ESG in M&A: Balancing Risks and Opportunities
Environmental, social, and governance (ESG) considerations are playing an increasingly important role in M&A transactions. In any given deal, however, it can be challenging to assess ESG factors, to perform ESG due diligence, and to plan for remedial steps or capture ESG opportunities post-closing.
In this report, Vinson & Elkins examines how ESG issues affect M&A transactions, and how acquiring companies should think about ESG at each step of the deal process:
- Identifying acquisition targets
- Conducting due diligence and valuation
- Financing the deal and obtaining representation and warranty insurance
- Negotiating terms and closing the deal
- Integrating the acquisition (or, for private equity acquisitions, establishing a strong standalone portfolio company)
This information is provided by Vinson & Elkins LLP for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.