Trammell Crow Center
2001 Ross Avenue
Dallas, TX 75201
Chris is a Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity-focused partner with more than 20 years of experience leading difficult, interdisciplinary corporate transactions. Chris frequently guides financial sponsors and operating companies through the enterprise life cycle – the initial formation, management team arrangements, bids and acquisitions; capital build-up through private equity and debt capital financings; development of pre-IPO governance structures; and private or public exit transactions. Chris works closely with V&E’s Capital Markets, Corporate Governance, Finance, Tax and other specialty teams. Chris has worked on transactions for more than a dozen leading private equity firms and family offices, involving more than 100 private equity-related transactional matters across many industry sectors.
Chris is a leader of Vinson & Elkins’ working groups focused on Electric Power for Power Transmission Transactions, and for Renewable Fuels, which are part of the Firm’s focus on Energy Transition.
Chris’s publicly-credited work includes his representation of Oncor Electric Delivery Co., a ring-fenced public utility owned by Sempra and TTI with an independent board of directors, in Oncor’s $2.2 billion acquisition of InfaREIT Inc. and assets of Sharyland Utilities in 2019. The high profile power transmission and distribution transaction involved four major counterparties, a public company acquisition with a go-shop process, a private debt exchange offer for approximately $500 million, a pre-closing private asset exchange, multiple post-closing commercial contracts, an IRS private letter ruling request, and four regulatory clearances or approvals, including the Public Utility Commission of Texas and CFIUS. Chris coordinated a team of V&E lawyers from across multiple practices who worked together to achieve a successful acquisition for Oncor.
Chris has a reputation for working to get deals done practically and efficiently. He has been continuously been selected as a Texas Super Lawyer since 2011.
- Southern Methodist University, Dedman School of Law, J.D. cum laude, 1998 (Order of the Coif; The Barristers; SMU Law Review Association)
- Vanderbilt University, B.A., 1992
- Selected to the Texas Super Lawyers list, Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters), 2011–2020
- Legal 500 U.S., Energy: Transactions – Conventional Power, 2019
- Dallas Regional Chamber, Leadership Dallas, Class of 2010-2011
- Member: Section of Business Law, American Bar Association; Dallas Bar Association
- Member: Museum Council, Perot Museum of Nature and Science, Dallas, Texas, 2006-2016
- North Texas Council for the Arts, Leadership Arts, Class of 2004-2005
- Energy EvolutionDecember 16, 2020
- Rankings & AwardsOctober 19, 2020
- Deals & CasesJanuary 15, 2020
- Rankings & AwardsSeptember 11, 2019
- Deals & CasesJune 26, 2019
- Deals & CasesJune 17, 2019
- The Legal 500 U.S. 2019 (Legalease, Ltd.) Recognizes V&E in 43 Practice Categories, With 184 Individual Lawyer RecommendationsRankings & AwardsMay 30, 2019
- Deals & CasesOctober 18, 2018
- Deals & CasesOctober 11, 2018
- Rankings & AwardsSeptember 6, 2018
- Deals & CasesFebruary 13, 2018
- InsightFebruary 7, 2018
V&E Securities Litigation and Enforcement / Private Funds Update E-communication