Matthew X. Etchemendy
2200 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Suite 500 West
Washington, DC 20037
Max’s principal area of practice is appellate litigation. Prior to joining V&E, he served as a judicial clerk to Justice Anthony M. Kennedy of the Supreme Court of the United States and to Chief Judge Merrick B. Garland of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit.
- Stanford Law School, J.D., 2012 (Stanford Law Review, Senior Editor; Stanford Technology Law Review, Editor)
- Stanford University, Ph.D., Philosophy, 2016
- Stanford University, B.S. Symbolic Systems (with distinction); B.A. Philosophy (with honors and distinction), 2006
- Law and Philosophy Fellow, University of Chicago Law School, 2016 – 2017
- Judicial clerk to Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, Supreme Court of the United States, 2013 – 2014
- Judicial clerk to Chief Judge Merrick B. Garland, U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, 2012 – 2013
- The Best Lawyers in America© (BL Rankings, LLC), “Ones to Watch,” 2021
- District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Eighth, Ninth and District of Columbia Circuits
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- Rankings & AwardsAugust 20, 2020
- V&E+January 14, 2020
- Energy EvolutionAugust 23, 2019
- V&E+July 8, 2019
- V&E+July 1, 2019
- The Methods of Philosophy of Law: The Naturalistic Method, Encyclopedia of the Philosophy of Law and Social Philosophy (M. Sellers & S. Kirste eds. 2020).
- American Realism – Development and Critique, Encyclopedia of the Philosophy of Law and Social Philosophy (M. Sellers & S. Kirste eds. 2018).
- Naturalism in Legal Philosophy (with Brian Leiter), Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (Edward N. Zalta ed., Summer 2017 ed.).
- New Directions in Legal Expressivism, 22 Legal Theory 1 (2016).