Don C. Griffin, Jr.
1001 Fannin Street
Houston, TX 77002
For more than 25 years, trial lawyer Don Griffin has represented his clients in multimillion-dollar lawsuits in Texas state and federal courts. He is a trial lawyer with extensive courtroom experience and numerous jury trial verdicts. His practice focuses primarily on assisting property owners and developers subject to condemnation by government authorities.
Don has appeared before the Texas Supreme Court multiple times on behalf of his clients, most recently in February 2018 (W.A. “Andy” Meyers v. JDC/Firethorne, 548 S.W.3d 477 (Tex.2018)). Among his most high-profile verdicts was a February 2018 judgment against the State of Texas that resulted in an amount 1,837% above the State’s $1,300,000 compensation number after a three-week jury trial in Harris County — the largest reported jury verdict ever on behalf of a property owner in a Texas condemnation case.
Smaller verdicts, however, can be just as meaningful. In June 2018, Don led a group of V&E lawyers who won $913,563 (net recovery to client) jury verdict for a family-owned collision repair facility in Little Elm, Texas when the Texas Supreme Court confirmed the trial court judgment obtained in a May 2015 Denton County jury trial. Prior to trial, the State had offered $49,104 in compensation. The victory was the result of a six-year-long legal battle with the State of Texas and the Texas Supreme Court opinion (Morale v. State of Texas, 557 S.W.3d 569 (Tex.2018)) is now cited at eminent domain conferences as one of the most important decisions affecting Texas condemnation cases.
Recent Cases & Results
- Baylor Law School, J.D., 1990 (Baylor Law Review; Order of Barristers; various law school organizations)
- University of Texas, B.B.A., Finance, 1986
- The Best Lawyers in America© (BL Rankings, LLC), Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law, 2020
- Member: American Board of Trial Advocates; Texas Association of Defense Counsel; American Bar Association; Houston Bar Association
- Past Board Member: Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Past Chair: Young Lawyers Committee, Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas
- InsightJanuary 1, 2020
- Rankings & AwardsAugust 15, 2019
- InsightFebruary 1, 2019
- Private Property Condemnation: Partial Taking of Commercial Reserves for the Grand Parkway Parcels 208 and 220InsightDecember 12, 2018
- InsightNovember 1, 2018
- V&E+October 16, 2018
- InsightOctober 3, 2018
- InsightSeptember 30, 2018
- InsightAugust 21, 2018