Vault’s 2023 Associate Survey Recognizes Vinson & Elkins As a Top-Ranked Firm
Vinson & Elkins was named a Vault Law 100 firm for 2023, and again received two top spots in Vault’s Law Firm Rankings, an annual assessment of the most prestigious firms in the U.S. as voted on by law firm associates from across the country. The firm was rated the most prestigious firm in Texas for the sixth year in a row, as well as for having the nation’s strongest practice for Energy, Oil & Gas for the ninth consecutive year.
Additionally, Vinson & Elkins ranked among the nation’s top 5 for the third year in a row in the Clean Tech/Renewable Energy category. Three other practices were recognized as well, including Environmental, Project Finance and Mergers & Acquisitions. The firm is also ranked among the top 50 as a Best Law Firm to Work For, and among the top 50 firms in the Best Summer Associate Program category.
“V&E’s lean-team model means great training for associates, with hands-on experience, strong partner mentorship and opportunities to tackle new challenges,” said Vault in its editorial commentary. “Overall, associates agree that V&E offers a great culture, great compensation, and great work.”
In survey responses, the firm’s associates shared positive reviews about their experiences at Vinson & Elkins. Below are a few excerpts of their comments:
- “V&E’s strength is its culture.”
- “Day-to-day atmosphere is collaborative and friendly. People take great pride in their work product, but do not take themselves too seriously.”
On transparency and communication:
- “V&E is an open book on hours, partner comp, associate comp, goals, etc. Firm management makes regular reports and shares all the numbers.”
- “[T]he relationship between associates and partners is pretty great. All of the partners I have worked for … have respect for associates. …”
- “The partners in my group are superb … it is obvious that each one cares about us and our career progression.”
On diversity, equity, and inclusion:
- “I’ve always seen the firm to be a welcoming and inclusive place to work.”
- “The firm prioritizes diversity at all levels and has taken active steps to continually improve.”
- “Client needs come first, but the firm is very flexible in how those needs are met at the quality that is expected.”
On quality of work:
- “Associates are quickly given substantive roles which allow them to contribute to and act as an integral part of the teams they are on.”
- “My work assignments are complex, and I feel are appropriate for my associate level. I appreciate the diversity in my workflow and the challenging subject matter of my practice area.”
On mentoring and development:
- “I feel very lucky to have the mentorship and training that I’ve received at the firm. I have a group of partners who I believe are committed to my development.”
- “[S]enior associates … are invaluable resources and have always been willing to take time to discuss any issues/questions.”
- “V&E always offers a highly competitive salary. Annual bonuses are generous.”
In the annual survey, more than 20,000 associates from across big law returned anonymous surveys to Vault to rate the reputations of firms other than their own. Vault’s region-based rankings are determined by associates who are asked to rate the prestige of other firms in their region. For practice area rankings, associates are asked to vote for up to three firms they consider strongest in their own practice area, but are not permitted to vote for their own firm. Vault’s Best Law Firm to Work For and Summer Associate Program rankings are derived from V&E associates asked to rate their own experiences.
About Vinson & Elkins
For more than a century, Vinson & Elkins has provided outstanding client service across important industries that drive the global economy. Built on a strong culture of collaboration across 12 offices worldwide, V&E lawyers are committed to excellence, offering clients decades of legal experience in handling transactions, investments, projects and disputes across the globe. Learn more by visiting www.velaw.com or follow us on Twitter @VinsonandElkins or connect with us on LinkedIn.
For more information, please speak with our media contacts.