Scholarship Opportunities for Texas High School Seniors Entering College
In 1990, Vinson & Elkins created the V&E Scholars Program to defray the costs of a college education for minority students with strong academic credentials, an interest in the legal profession, and financial need. The Program awards seven scholarships each year to diverse high school students in Houston, Dallas, and Austin.
In addition to receiving a $10,000 scholarship, each V&E Scholar is offered summer internships at Vinson & Elkins, mentoring from V&E attorneys (some of whom are themselves V&E Scholars), and reimbursement for an LSAT preparatory course.
V&E Scholars have gone on to the nation’s most prestigious universities, and many have attended top law schools. Whether our Scholars are in law school, the State Department, or at major corporations, V&E continues to be extremely proud of our recipients’ accomplishments and excited for their futures. In total, V&E has awarded 161 diversity scholarships to high school seniors.
Application submissions are accepted through April 15, 2020, and recipients will be notified in May 2020.
Eligibility and Submission Requirements
Eligible high school seniors must:
- Be a member of a racial/ethnic group which has been historically underrepresented in the legal profession and/or identify as a member of the LGBTQ community;
- Have a strong high school record;
- Demonstrate interest in working in a law firm setting;
- Have a financial need;
- Be in the top 20% of their class;
- Have a minimum of 1100 SAT combined score or a minimum of 22 ACT score;
- Have a valid Social Security Number; and
- Have U.S. Citizenship or Residency in Houston, Dallas or Austin or surrounding areas for continuous seven years.
In addition to a completed online application form, candidates must submit:
- A resume in PDF format.
- An essay (500-1500 words) of your personal story and/or your career goals. Mention any extracurricular and community activities that demonstrate an interest in pursuing a career as a lawyer.
- An official transcript of high school courses completed to date.
- Two letters of recommendation. These letters must come from a teacher in whose classes you were enrolled within the past year or from a guidance counselor or coach at your school.
- Copies of applications for financial aid, if applicable.