Opportunities for First- and Second-Year Law Students
Vinson & Elkins awards some of the brightest law students from top law schools in the U.S. with Diversity Fellowships each year. Each awarded student receives a scholarship ($10,000 for 1L students or $25,000 for 2L students) and the opportunity to clerk in one of our U.S. offices the summer following their 1L or 2L year.
Since the program launched in 2008, V&E has awarded more than 60 Fellowships, and more than a dozen former Fellows currently practice law at V&E. Applications should be submitted online.
Fellowship Eligibility Requirements
- To be eligible for a Vinson & Elkins Diversity Fellowship, law students must attend and be in good standing at an American Bar Association accredited law school.
- Eligible students must identify as LGBTQ or as a member of a racial/ethnic group which has been historically underrepresented in the legal profession (i.e., Asian (including South Asian), American Indian/Alaskan Native, Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino/a, Multiracial, or Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander).
- Strong undergraduate and law school record
- Excellent writing skills
- Demonstrated interest in working at Vinson & Elkins, joining V&E as a Summer Associate, and advancing the firm’s Diversity & Inclusion initiatives
- Completed online application (link at right)
- A brief statement (500 words or less) discussing your interest in Vinson & Elkins and describing how your unique experiences will contribute to our practice of law
A selection panel will evaluate all completed applications, conduct interviews, and announce Fellowship recipients in a timely manner.
- Senior Associate - AntitrustAustin
I’m honored to have been a V&E Diversity Fellow in 2012 and now to work at V&E. Working at V&E has provided me with opportunities to do sophisticated legal work while being a part of an inclusive culture that has enabled me to grow both professionally and personally.
- Associate - Corporate Governance & Board RepresentationDallas
I feel privileged to have received a V&E Diversity Fellowship. Since starting my career at V&E as an attorney, I have been impressed by the firm’s continued commitment to supporting diversity; V&E’s internal and external inclusion initiatives are ample proof of this, but the warm culture here reaffirms even more that V&E is fully invested in diversity.