- Our Capabilities
Why Vinson & Elkins for Carbon Capture?
In 2022, V&E advised on 20+ carbon capture matters.
- Given our roots in traditional brown power and mid-stream oil and gas, V&E excels in the various skill sets and legal foundation required for carbon capture and sequestration, and we are currently working on several joint development agreements and investments into sequestration facilities and the negotiation of the underlying project documents, as well as with tax investors on structuring the purchase of tax credits arising from such projects under the tax credit transferability provisions of the IRA.
- We have the full cross-discipline team you need for CCS/CCUS projects. We advise on securing necessary land rights for capture and sequestration; all aspects of project development of carbon capture facilities, CO2 pipelines and other infrastructure, including EPC contracts and CO2 offtake agreements; securing 45Q tax credits and related tax equity financing arrangement; and innovative permitting strategies.
- Top-tier tax equity and project finance team. Our work includes securing incentives under the Inflation Reduction Act, along with extensive experience with energy project financings, including with traditional project finance lenders, export credit agencies, DOE loan programs, and tax equity structures.
- We are already doing this work for your peers. We have been involved in several EOR-related CCUS projects and currently are helping dozens of large and smaller market participants work through the challenging structural, legal, regulatory, tax, and commercial issues inherent in their CCUS projects.
- We provide cost savings. Seamless coordination and collaboration across drives creative structuring and value for our clients.
Why V&E for CCS? We Are Recognized Amongst Our Peers
- Band 1Projects: Power & Renewables (Transactional) – Chambers USA, 2022
- 8Chambers ranked lawyers in Renewables categories, including 2 in Band 1, Chambers USA, 2022
Why V&E for CCS? We Have the Experience
- Deals & CasesApril 28, 2022
- Deals & CasesMarch 2, 2022
- Deals & CasesDecember 14, 2021
- Deals & CasesApril 16, 2021
Why V&E for CCS? We Share Your Goals
The attorneys have extensive knowledge of the industry, which makes Vinson & Elkins a go-to firm for every complex transaction.
Chambers USA, 2021 (Client Quote)
Why V&E for CCS? We Have a Deep Bench
Attorney advertising. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.