Managing Tough Issues in the Boardroom
Tough issues – from sticky conflict-of-interest situations to crisis events – are things every corporate board faces at some point, and are only becoming more common. In dealing with these challenges, boards are often torn between the need to deliberate confidentially and frankly about a very sensitive situation and a true desire to operate with transparency. Additionally, the desire for board consensus and alignment, especially around the most fraught issues, can be rocked by dissent among directors about the path forward.
In this WCD board briefing, a group of directors and industry experts discuss key “lessons learned” from some of the most complicated issues their boards faced. The group consisted of:
- Caroline Blitzer Phillips, Partner, Mergers and Acquisitions and Private Equity, V&E
- Jan Babiak, Director, Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. and Bank of Montreal; WCD Chapter Chair
- Diane de Saint Victor, General Counsel and Company Secretary of Swiss-based ABB, Ltd.
- Eunice Nyala, CEO, Etiquette Xllent Co., Ltd.; WCD Kenya Chapter
- Moderator: Phyllis Campbell, Chairman, Pacific Northwest, JPMorgan Chase & Co., Lead Director, Alaska Air Group; WCD Member
Read the full briefing here.
This information is provided by Vinson & Elkins LLP for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.