Clean Energy IPOs and SPAC Combinations: Historical Trends and Future Possibilities
Click here for PDF download.
While the market witnessed a flurry of renewable energy and clean tech IPOs from 2010-2015, they have become much rarer in recent years despite markedly improved market fundamentals. In this article, we highlight current market dynamics suggesting a significant increase in renewables and clean tech IPO activity over the next several years, as well as explore alternative legal structures best suited for such offerings.
Table of Contents
- Clean Energy Market Fundamentals: Growing Capital Needs Meet Growing Investor Appetite
- Basic Structural Considerations for Renewables and Clean Tech IPOs
- Yielding IPO Structures
- The Rise and Fall of the YieldCo
- Where Are the YieldCos Now?
- The YieldCo Comeback and Potential “YieldCo 2.0”
- Other Yielding Structures – MLPs and REITs
- Growth-Oriented Non-Yielding IPOs
- The IPO Alternative – SPAC Combinations
- Recent CleanTech SPAC Combinations
- SPAC Combination Process Considerations
This information is provided by Vinson & Elkins LLP for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.