Home > Practices > Corporate
Mergers and Acquisitions
Mergers and Acquisitions
Scope of Practice | Representative Experience
The global economic crisis has impacted businesses around the world and had a dramatic impact on merger and acquisition activity. Today’s buyers and sellers have to be more creative, since sellers are often motivated by liquidity issues and deals are more complex. V&E lawyers have extensive experience and insights, and we excel in providing creative solutions for complex, time-sensitive issues.
Scope of Practice
Regardless of economic cycles, Vinson & Elkins continues to be consistently ranked among the top law firms in public and private mergers and acquisitions. Each year, we represent clients in hundreds of merger and acquisition transactions, involving billions of dollars. V&E is consistently listed among the top law firms in M&A by Chambers Global (2009-2013), and The American Lawyer (2010-2013).
Our clients include large public companies, private equity funds, hedge funds, sovereign wealth funds, and private companies. With offices throughout the U.S., Europe, the Middle East, and Asia, we help U.S. and non-U.S. clients execute their strategic plans quickly and efficiently.
- Statoil on the $3.1 billion sale of companies holding a 40 percent interest in the Peregrino oilfield in Brazil to Sinochem of China
- Continental Airlines in its agreed merger with UAL Corp's United Airlines, in a deal estimated to be worth more than $3 billion
- Devon Energy Corporation in connection with the $7 billion agreements to sell all of its deepwater Gulf of Mexico, Brazilian, and Azerbaijan assets to BP, as well as purchasing a 50-percent interest in an oil sands project in Alberta, Canada, and agreeing to enter into a joint venture to develop this oil sands project
- TPG Capital, LP in connection with the $500 million investment in Valerus Compression Services, a private natural gas handling services company
- Capital Iron & Steel Company (Shougang) and subsequently its joint venture company, BeijingWest Industries Co. Ltd. (BWI), in connection with the acquisition by BWI of Delphi Corporation’s global suspension and brakes business
- Lime Rock Partners in connection with its $25 million investment in Expert Petroleum SRL, a Romania-based oil and gas company focused on rehabilitating mature oil and gas fields
- Cobalt International Energy, L.P. in its strategic alliance with Total E&P USA Inc. to combine exploratory lease holdings in the Gulf of Mexico, resulting in Cobalt holding a 60 percent interest and Total holding a 40 percent interest across 214 joint Gulf of Mexico deepwater leases
- Riverstone Holdings LLC in connection with its acquisition of Babcock & Brown LP's wind development portfolio and formation of Pattern Energy Group LP to develop, own, and operate renewable energy and transmission assets in North America and Latin America
- Huntsman Corporation in what business journalists called the "deal of the century"; negotiating the merger agreement with Hexion and subsequent litigation to force the buyer to honor its contract when it attempted to invoke the material adverse event clause; our litigation team, supported by our insolvency lawyers, quickly swung into action and successfully defeated this challenge and, in the process, helped establish law in this key area
- Sinopec International E&P Company in connection with the C$10.3 billion acquisition of Addax Petroleum Corporation, a Canadian company publicly traded on the Toronto and London Stock Exchanges with assets in West Africa and the Middle East
V&E has experience in all negotiated and non-negotiated acquisition methods, including tender offers, proxy contests, roll-up transactions, management buyouts, joint ventures, partnerships, and leveraged acquisitions.
We represent sellers, purchasers, targets, and financial advisors in connection with a wide range of transactions, including:
To better understand our clients businesses and needs, we often draw upon the vast knowledge and experience of our lawyers around the world in relevant industries, markets, economies, and legal climates. Our lawyers have advised on transactions in both developed and emerging markets and across a diverse range of industries and sectors including:
- Aviation and Transportation
- Financial Services
- Life Sciences
- Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG)
- Marketing and Refining
- Oil and Gas
- Power Generation and Utilities
- Real Estate
- Renewable and Clean Energy
Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.
<< Back to Top